I’ve found myself saying “I should do that more often” a lot lately. However these fleeting thoughts tend leave my mind before I find time to commit to them. I decided it’s time to write them down, this way I am kind of obligated to commit to them, I mean it’s basically written in stone at this point! So I challenged myself to compile a list of things that I should do more often, here they are:
1. Wake up earlier. Whenever I wake up early I feel so refreshed and ready for the day. The morning is my favorite time of day, so why am I squandering my time away laying in bed? I want to wake up to a fresh clarity every morning. Whether I go for a run, or just sit out on the deck with a cup of tea (but trust me, there’s going to be a lot more tea drinking than there is running), my mornings are going to start at 7:00 am for the rest of the summer!
2. Make an effort to use people’s names more when I am talking to them. I always find that when someone uses my name when they are talking to me the conversation seems more meaningful. It’s nice to be addressed by name and I find that it builds a stronger connection between people, especially when you are only an acquaintance with somebody. And I know it may seem silly, but it makes me feel special when someone uses my name in conversation and I want to give that feeling back to others.
3. Go outside more. Around here winter literally lasts for half of the year, so when we are not plagued by 30 below weather I should be enjoying the outdoors. I live on a quiet acreage surrounded by trees, the perfect place for going outside and I’m going to enjoy it while I can.
4. Let go of the little things. This seems simple, self explanatory, and possibly even pointless to write down. However, I have been known to get hung up on tiny details that eventually turn into bigger issues (very mountain-out-of-a-molehill type things), in which case this is an extremely important point for me to work on!
5. Take more pictures. My mom takes a lot of pictures, but ever since I moved away from home I’m finding that there are less and less picture of my life (oh no!). I want to be able to look back at my life through pictures. So I’ve challenged myself to take at least 5 lifestyle photos each day then at the end of the day I save my favorite one. It’s kind of like keeping a visual journal if you think about it.
And that’s it! It’s a short list, but it is ever growing believe me! And I know if I make a conscious effort to do these things I will be more satisfied with the way I live my life. I challenge you to do the same. Good luck!